Thursday, November 26, 2015

Turkey Day Food Baby

*I am writing this post after changing into sweat pants because my jeans felt too tight.  Thanksgiving success.*


**I'm using surnames in the post because I know that some students have found this blog. Hi, Middle 5's!**

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was one of the best Thanksgivings of my life so far.

It started like any other day.  I woke up, slowly got ready and headed downstairs to ring the breakfast bell.

BUT, before I made it to the bottom of the stairs I had already been wished "Happy Thanksgiving".  I wasn't expecting that.  I am beyond lucky and blessed to be surrounded by a handful of Americans (both staff and boarders) who keep me from missing home too much.  Today though, my first Thanksgiving wish was from a Brit.  My last wish was from a girl from Hong Kong.  The people here are so caring, that they make sure they know when an American holiday is so they can wish me a happy one.
Sweet Potato Casserole - before the oven

Mrs. Campbell, an American teacher, hosted a Thanksgiving meal in Hillcroft (a boarding house) tonight.  The kitchen was amazing and made the turkey, glazed carrots, mashed potatoes, cherry pie, and chocolate creme pie.  Mrs. Campbell made sweet corn pudding, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, and American style stuffing.  I put the marshmallows on, and mixed the green bean sauce, as well as set 5 timers on my phone with labels to keep everything on time.

In the end, there were about 40 people in a Hillcroft Lounge celebrating Thanksgiving together.  The girls were so excited about the food and learning about the history of the holiday.  They LOVED the stuffing and corn pudding.  Most went back for seconds and somehow still had room for dessert.
Green Bean Casserole - before the topping

The joy in the room was palpable.  I enjoyed sharing this holiday with my new community and just relaxing (and stuffing food in my face) with friends.

My supervisor Rev. Dykes said, "I feel on the edge of uncomfortable."  I told her she had successfully completed Thanksgiving!






As I slowly trudged across campus with a full tummy, I reflected on my first 3 months here in the UK.  Below is a list of things for which I am thankful.

1. A caring House Mistress and Assistant House Mistress
2. A supervisor that appreciates laughter
3. Turkey & Stuffing
4. Primark - it's like Target, but cheaper
5. The Big Bang Theory on E4
6. A growing relationship with God
7. The opportunity to discover the world
8. My new friends
9. Shadow the dog :)
10. Luna the cat
11. My fellow YAGM UKers - we are partaking in an experience that few will understand.  You will always be in my heart
12. Toffee Sponge
13. Dr. Pepper
14. Clean drinking water

And so much more!!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving (or Thursday)!

2 comments:

  1. So pleased you are sharing this year of your life with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete