Tuesday, November 10, 2015

(Extra) Ordinary

Extraordinary: beyond what is usual, ordinary, regular, or established.

My first 2 and a half months here has definitely been extraordinary.  Different people, Different place. Different expectations.  The first familiar places I found were Starbucks and McDonald's.

Grande White Chocolate Mocha with Cream
Cheeseburger. No onions. Small Fries and a Coke.

These phrases just roll off my tongue. They are routine. Something that comes so easily to me.

Unlike exercise!

For those who know me, I have a major aversion to exercise.  Don't get me wrong, I can walk around the Magic Kingdom or Epcot all day and never complain, BUT put me on treadmill or tell me to walk around a lake and I will complain and find any excuse not to go.

The United States is built for cars.  Driving is the fastest way to get around as most of the U.S. apart from the trains in the metropoles.  Here in the UK everyone walks.  There are paths and pavement (sidewalks) everywhere.  Across the street from the entrance to school is a nature preserve that attracts butterflies in the Spring.

Every week on my day off, rain or shine, I walk into town.  The walk down the hill is wonderful and I love every second of it.  The walk up however? Dreadful! Especially when I'm carrying groceries.  Every time I started walking to town my calf muscles would instinctively start cramping - I'm pretty sure they have a mind of their own.  I hated it.  Some days I would be tempted to turn around or not go at all. But I kept going.  7 weeks. 1 or 2 times a week.

Then I went to Derbyshire on a retreat/class with my fellow YAGMs and everything changed.  Mycah, Maridith and Chelsi asked if I would like to join them on a walk. I accepted thinking it would be maybe 20 minutes.  Boy was I wrong!

Mycah was on a mission to get to the top of the cliffs.  Immediately my brain and body shut down.  It was too hard, too far.  I was too tired, too out of shape. As I trudged through pastures and came upon a very friendly horse that wanted to accompany us to the top, I thought of excuses I could use, but I never spoke them. I continued up the hill with a few breaks for photos (but really to catch my breath). We emerged from the pastures and had to go up a small muddy hill to get to the road.  It was slippery and I was brilliantly wearing a white coat.  I handed my coat up to Chelsi. I got halfway and started to panic about slipping and falling.  Maridith went up ahead and helped me up, but not before the stinging nettles attacked! In case you were wondering, nettles in your armpit hurts - beware the nettles!

We walked up the road to another path where I decided I could go no further.

"Guys, I think I'll just wait here for you.  I can't do it."
"I'll walk on the road with you."
"I don't think the road goes where you are going."
The side of the cliff.
"Yes it does. Come on."



We walked and found the entrance to the cliffs.  We walked around puddles and more nettles and reached the edge.  It was breathtaking.  I had no words.

I am so thankful that those girls wouldn't let me give up.

The conversation above was between me and Chelsi.  But it could easily be a conversation between me and Jesus.  Jesus walks with us everyday.  He stops when we stop. When we reach that moment where we just don't think we can go any farther, Jesus offers to walk on the road with us.  He reminds us that he loves us, and that he didn't die so that we would give up when life gets tough.

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. - Philippians 4:13

Two days after this climb to the top, I got a massive charlie horse trying to run to a less full train car, then had to stand for an hour.  Now I can walk into town, do my shopping, and walk back up the hill with no cramps in my calves.  What was once extraordinary is becoming ordinary.  

Ordinary: customary; usual; normal

The UK is slowly becoming home.

Sunset on the cliffs
~Lina

No comments:

Post a Comment