Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Countdown Begins

14 days.

In 14 days I will head to training in Chicago before leaving the country for a year. 365 days. 525,600 minutes.

I'm trying not to think about all the important people, and events I will miss.  But it is difficult not to focus on that.  Yesterday at work two 4th grade girls bawled as I was trying to leave.   It hit them that it was officially my last week with them.  I didn't realize that I had that much of an effect on them.

I told myself I wouldn't cry when I left.  I lied.  I instantly started tearing up when I was trying to comfort those girls.  It felt like I had literally ripped their hearts out.  I'm dreading Friday.  It will officially be my last day at my job, and I fear that more kids will cry.  I don't know what to do.  I don't know how I can possibly comfort them, when I can't even comfort myself!

The most common question I get from the kiddos - "Why do you HAVE to leave?"  How do I explain to a 9 year old that I don't HAVE to leave, I CHOSE to leave.  I CHOSE to not see them for a year.  How do I explain that I'm leaving not because I don't love them, but because I need to leave for ME. I need a change.  I need to put myself in a new, scary situation to see how tough and resilient I can be.  How do I tell them, that I'm being selfish?  All they see is abandonment.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength.

 Heavenly Father, please, give me the right words to say to these kids as I leave, and grant me the strength to walk away.

~~Lina



No comments:

Post a Comment